Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Review of my NFL Pre-Season Predictions

Before every NFL season, I sit down and go through the schedule to predict who will win each game. I use my results to formulate the standings, then use that to determine the playoff teams and seeds. Below is what I had predicted would happen, and now it's time to review, gloat, and smack my forehead at what I thought would happen.

AFC East

*Patriots 12-4

Dolphins 10-6

Jets 8-8

Bills 4-12

Well at least I had the Patriots winning the division! I thought the Dolphins would improve over a 7-9 record w/ the additions of Marshall and Dansby. I thought the Jets would implode with a bunch of over-the-hill players and egos. Thanks for holding things down at the bottom as usual Buffalo, 'preciate it!

AFC South

*Colts 13-3

*Texans 12-4

Titans 5-11

Jaguars 4-12

The Colts showed signs of their well-oiled machine starting to break down, but held on to win the division over a surprising Jaguars team. The Texans really disappointed me this year, as you'll see why further down. I thought this was the year that young defense would mature and get it right. Ooops.

AFC North

*Ravens 12-4

*Bengals 10-6

Steelers 9-7

Browns 2-14

Nailed it on the Ravens, but the rest of it...not so good. I thought the Bengals would have a repeat of last year. I thought the Steelers would slide a bit w/ the Big Ben drama going on. I thought the Browns would be terrible. They were bad, but not terrible.

AFC West

*Chargers 11-5

Broncos 8-8

Chiefs 8-8

Raiders 4-12

How many of you picked someone other than the Chargers to win this division? Yeah, right...put your hand down you lyin' sack of sh!t. How Norv Turner still has a head coaching job in the NFL is beyond me. The Chiefs were a pleasant surprise this year and have a good solid young defense moving forward. The Raiders improved, but as long as Al Davis is there, they won't be able to put it together. Will Tim Tebow be the savior in Denver? Don't count on it. He should be used as the next Peyton Hillis.

NFC East

*Eagles 11-5

Cowboys 9-7

Giants 8-8

Redskins 6-10

Nailed it w/ the Eagles. Cowboys should've fired Wade Phillips sooner. He's in the "Norv Turner" class of "how the hell is he an NFL Head Coach?" Giants and Redskins ended up about the way I thought they would.

NFC South

*Falcons 13-3

*Saints 12-4

Panthers 4-12

Buccaneers 4-12

Probably my best divisional predictions. Nailed it on the Falcons and Saints being playoff teams, though I did underestimated the Bucs, who have a good young nucleus. If only the Dolphins could've had the kind of draft they've had the last couple of years. With 3 teams in playoff contention, this is my "no poop" division of the year.

NFC North

*Packers 12-4

*Vikings 9-7

Bears 6-10

Lions 4-12

Didn't expect Brett Favre to play like a 41-year old after the season he had last year. Also didn't think the Bears had enough star power to be anything more than mediocre, let alone a #2 seed.

NFC West

*49ers 12-4

Cardinals 6-10

Seahawks 5-11

Rams 3-13

I thought the 49ers would be the one team in this division to take advantage of the others to run away with it, but instead they all beat each other up and sent a 7-9 team to the playoffs. This division definitely gets a "poop."

I ended up getting 4 of the 8 division winners right and 7 of the 12 playoff teams right.


Wild Card Weekend

Texans over Chargers

Ravens over Bengals

Saints over Eagles

Vikings over 49ers

Divisional Round

Texans over Colts

Ravens over Patriots

Saints over Falcons

Packers over Vikings

Championship Round

Texans over Ravens

Packers over Saints

Super Bowl

Texans over Packers

Now you can see why the Texans really disappointed me. I thought they'd be a good "surprise" team to take all the way like the Saints were last year. At least the Packers can make me look halfway smart if they can get to the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl MVP - Andre Johnson

NFL MVP - Tom Brady

OFF POY - Aaron Rodgers

DEF POY - Patrick Willis

OFF ROY - Ryan Mathews

DEF ROY - Eric Berry

Comeback POY - Matt Cassel

The awards haven't been announced yet, but it's lookin' good that I got Brady for MVP right. We'll see about the others.

Stay tuned...the next "Big Prediction" will be a similar write-up for the 2011 Baseball Season sometime in the next 2 1/2 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment